Community Support Worker Job at Turning Leaf Support Services – Winnipeg, MB
Turning Leaf is a non-profit, charitable organization that provides person-centered, crisis and treatment services to low and high-risk vulnerable and marginalized individuals living with mental illness and intellectual challenge in our community.
Turning Leaf’s support is customized to every individual’s needs and risk level. We offer crisis-intervention and treatment services, community support, day program services, residential support (including emergency housing, 24-hour homes, cluster housing, and home share), a harm reduction program, clinical services, indigenous services and more.
WHO WE SUPPORT
The participants of our programs are often deeply impacted by their circumstances which can become barriers to living safely and independently in the community. Trauma, homelessness, poverty, addictions, discrimination, sexual exploitation, societal stigmas, and lack of access to resources are some of the barriers our participants face every day.
MAKE AN IMPACT
Being a part of the Turning Leaf family means you will have the opportunity to make a direct and positive impact on people’s lives every day. The work is challenging in all the best ways and deeply rewarding. Many of our employees say they have found their life’s purpose while working here.
Turning Leaf provides ongoing, meaningful training to ensure we remain an industry leader and that our employees have the skills and confidence to be successful in their careers. We are an organization that pledges to uphold a workplace culture of inclusion, diversity, compassion, and respect.
We are growing more and more all the time and we are always hiring. If you feel called to be a part of the Turning Leaf team, please apply today.
New Hire Incentive Program: Full/Part-Time new hires will receive a $200 bonus after six months of employment
COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKER JOB SUMMARY
The Community Support Worker will provide our person-centered supports to participants who live within the community in various living arrangements. Community Support Workers will work directly with our participants in helping set goals and making healthy life choices.
Community Support Workers will work closely with and report to the Community Support Clinical Case Managers and Supervisors to observe, plan, implement and execute programs and activities that promote and encourage learning and development in daily living, social and life skills.
- Cover letter and updated resume
- 18 years of age or older
- Available anytime 35 – 40 hours p/week (Full time)
- Available anytime 15 – 25 hours p/week (Part time)
- Available anytime 15- hours p/week (Casual)
- Shifts available: 8a-4p/9a-5p/4p-12a/12a-8a Monday to Sunday
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check (no older than three months)
- Drivers license with reliable vehicle is considered an assist
- Valid Standard First Aid / CPR Certification
- Minimum two years direct support experience working in a residential or community setting
- Completion of a Post-Secondary Education in Human Services (Certificate, Diploma or Degree) is considered an asset
- Three employment references
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Turning Leaf Community Support Workers must possess the capacity to be aware of and control one’s own emotions. Moreover, Community Support Workers must be able to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously, empathetically, and professionally while executing their responsibilities and providing Turning Leaf’s person-centered supports.
- Working with adults who are living with an intellectual challenge, mental illness and who are in conflict with the law
- De-escalating aggressive behavior
- Conflict resolution skills
- Aptitude towards managing crisis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- General knowledge of electronic reporting
SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain up-to-date files on participants (static and dynamic information)
- Maintain daily process notes on Support Worker activities and multi-system interactions.
- Write incident reports in collaboration with Clinical Case Management
- Oversee and maintain an awareness of cumulative health care of the participant (including general practitioner, dentist, ear and eye specialists, and psychiatrist appointments).
- Report at-risk participant activities verbally (including via telephone) and in writing to Case Management.
- In conjunction with Clinical Case Manager/Clinical Supervisor, engage participants in a process of goal setting, planning and acquisition as it pertains to living safely and independently in the community.
- Implement recreation/leisure programs
- Other duties as assigned
COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKER BENEFITS
- Health Benefits (Full-time employees)
- GRRSP Program (optional for full-time & part-time employees)
- Paid Wellness Time (Full-time employees)
- Bereavement and Compassionate Care Time
- Mileage Reimbursement (when applicable)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid training (First Aid/CPR, NVCI, VPA, etc.)
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- Direct Support Work: 1 year (preferred)
- drivers license with reliable vehicle (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)
- Overnight Shift (preferred)
About the Company
Company: Turning Leaf Support Services –
Company Location: Winnipeg, MB