Head of Hive Tomorrow, People Capability Job at Standard Chartered – London
Primary Location: Europe & Americas-United Kingdom-London
Employee Status: Permanent
Posting Date: 29/Jul/2021, 9:36:39 AM
Unposting Date: 12/Aug/2021, 5:59:00 PM
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) has a bold ambition to be the number one Learning function in financial services: “having world-class learning that unlocks the unique potential of our people and helps them contribute their best to Standard Chartered and our clients, both today and as we transform into the future”.
To achieve this ambition, the People Capability (PC) function has reinvented its organisation design to organise around Hives, Disciplines and Squads. In this model:
- Multi-disciplinary “Squads’’ deliver work to achieve the function’s priorities.
- All Squad members are “Discipline’’ practitioners and are dynamically allocated to Squads through Disciplines. Disciplines are the ‘homes’ for practitioners to develop their craftmanship and to maintain a common approach to similar tasks.
- “Priorities” are the way in which work is organised and relate to unique areas of delivery. Squads delivering on different projects within the same strategic priority are grouped together and called “Hives’’. Hives are formed, aligned to and deliver on the priorities through agile ways of working, governance, and engagement with the business. Hives (and priorities) are expected to last medium to longer-term (typically a minimum of 12–18-months as a horizon). Projects and their Squad allocation within a priority will be more typically dynamic in terms of time driven outcomes. Future priorities can be added based on changes to vision and ambition.
- Hives within PC currently drive four priorities:
Strategic importance of role
Reskilling is a critical element of SCB’s strategy. It’s our stated goal to empower our staff with the latest future focused skillsets as well as enable staff in roles with a higher probability of obsolesce due to technology to reskill and adapt, thereby transforming their career ambitions and well-being. To do that, we are building out a defined process that uses insights from our internal and external partners and includes career coaching, simulations, learning content in a “brain-training” approach and opportunities for job shadowing and projects. When developed, this approach will be industry-leading and represent a SCB piece of thought leadership. We laid the data and foundational content grounding in 2020 for this approach, and this Hive now needs to build out and implement the unique attributes.
The Head of Hive Tomorrow for the Reskilling Strategy drives the book of work, manages the Squads and agreed priorities to support career transformations in tandem with role transformations, so that emerging roles are filled by re-skilled employees.
The primary responsibilities for the role include building out the levers for the process into an integrated and distinctive blueprint in consultation with businesses, functions and regions, as well as ensuring that diverse candidates are both brought to the new roles and are able to support the evolution of those roles. The role will specifically lead Squads to build out:
- Simulations that allow candidates to experience the core tasks of the new roles and practice;
- Career coaching conversations delivered at scale that connect personal leadership values to a career transformation conversation so that candidates are excited to explore new opportunities;
- Curated content in a “brain-training” structure that allows for a modern, outcome-driven approach ensuring that the right knowledge is absorbed at the right cadence;
- A job shadowing and mentoring platform that connects candidates with current role holders and hiring managers, giving opportunity to contribute through projects and secondments etc.
The role is responsible for taking an integrated systems approach, relating how the Tomorrow Hive’s vision and priorities fit within the larger enterprise and ensuring that the breadth of the talent, recruiting, performance management and learning functions are deployed in an integrated manner.
The Head Hive Tomorrow essentially borrows their resources from the Disciplines to be able to execute. The role focuses on value creation, bringing high value learning to reskill and upskill business and function teams, rather than a more traditional L&D transactional service relationship.
What the role requires
The role is ideal for individuals with an enterprising, entrepreneurial mind-set that can focus on innovating across new methods as well as reshaping the current content approach to be world-leading and high impact. The leader shall breakdown silos and effectively connect with stakeholders across the bank’s businesses, functions (e.g. HR, talent management) and regions (emerging markets) to garner insights on the evolution of work and roles. The leader should use advanced testing and prototyping approaches to build thought leadership and actionable projects to support the reskilling process.
What the role does
Transformation and innovation
- Helps PC to realise its vision of being the number one learning function in financial services, delivering the strategic value of raising the bar and improving performance for tomorrow’s SCB.
- Leads in shaping PC’s strategy to build a new to world approach to reskilling, including scalable simulations, unique “brain training” approach to content curation, values-based career coaching and support the platform connecting jobs and shadowing opportunities across SCB.
- As a PCMT member, brings innovative ideas and an ability to practically apply them in the context of the current business challenges and opportunities of their stakeholders.
- Leads business and functions partnering and consultation, developing deep commercial awareness of their stakeholders’ business models, their key challenges and opportunities and binding this into a coherent reskilling learning narrative.
- Connects the strategic priorities agreed in the learning councils to the delivery of Future Reskilling Workforce (FRW) learning programmes and experiences for all learners.
- Provides support and guidance to the business sponsors of the Future Skills Academies, encouraging them to leverage their ‘expert’ networks to further deepen and enhance the quality of specialist content as well as promote best practices and share insights into future labour market skills requirements.
- Reports achievement of critical milestones by the Tomorrow Hive with respect to the Reskilling Strategy’s quarterly goals and as part of the QBR process.
- Serves as the voice of the Squads to raise critical escalation items by exception only for resolution to the learning councils.
Work prioritisation and planning
- Ensures that stakeholders, through the Business Learning Councils, are challenged to prioritise their requirements, which then can translate into clear resource planning for Squads including logical flows of the Hive’s backlog.
- Provides guidance to Product Owners, Squad Members and extends support to delivery of their objectives by removing blockers and impediments.
- Provides a view of demand to Head of PC Disciplines and manages Tomorrow (Reskilling Strategy) Hive composition by supporting them in the allocation of resources across Squads.
- Accountable for the Tomorrow (Reskilling Strategy) Hive’s key performance indicators across priorities and how they translate to the attainment of key metrics agreed in the Global Learning Dashboard.
- Manages the Tomorrow (Reskilling Strategy) Hive budgets and non-people related resources.
- Leads and coordinates the creation, curation, sourcing and localisation / translation of learning content; leads the renewal, updates and consolidation of learning content; and provides support and guidance to Squads within the Tomorrow (Reskilling Strategy) Hive on critical quality assurance activities and managing escalated risks and issues.
- Leads the process of scaling change and value realisation of learning including the delivery and uptake/ adoption of learning across stakeholder groups to foster a learning culture more broadly.
- Creates an atmosphere of confidence and trust in the Tomorrow (Reskilling Strategy) Hive and motivates Product Owners and Squad Members to fulfil Hive’s vision and strategic priorities.
- Provides Squad Member feedback to their respective Heads of Disciplines on their performance.
- Balances the needs of their Tomorrow Hive’s priorities with the development and rotation of talent, while not ‘owning’ talent permanently.
Regulatory & business conduct
- Displays exemplary conduct and lives by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Takes personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Leads the team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles.
- Effectively and collaboratively identifies, escalates, mitigates and resolves risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
Experience in agile project management
Experience in design prototyping and experimentation
Business and commercial acumen
People Capability expertise, knowledge and experience in one or more of the PC Disciplines – e.g. Insight and Opportunities/ Learning Technology/ Creative and Delivery
Knowledge and experience in emerging learning solutions incorporating including on-demand platform delivered learning, social, experiential and virtual / interactive learning
HR / Talent Data analytics & measurement /business intelligence capability
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.
About the Company
Company: Standard Chartered –
Company Location: London